Florida West Coast Trails 2024
You asked for more Florida sunshine -- and being based in New Hampshire, we get it! Senior Cycling is there with another peak season tour that will take you on several of Florida’s best Rail Trails.
Beginning in Tampa and spending our last night in fun downtown St. Petersburg, on this tour we’ll bike the General James A. Van Fleet trail, the Withlacoochee State Trail and the Pinellas Trail. Extra rides will include the Dunedin Causeway Trail and Coffee Pot Bayou Trail in St. Petersburg.
Plenty of sun & sand, great dining opportunities, wonderful wildlife viewing and browsing local arts and culture are included!
- 5 nights lodging
- 5 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 3 dinners
- Full sag support and luggage hauling
- Sweep rider support
- Daily social hour and map meeting with daily cue sheets
Day 1 - Sunday
Tampa – We meet at 5:00 PM at our starting hotel for our introductory meeting followed by dinner nearby. This is a time to get acquainted and learn about our upcoming adventure.
Day 2 - Monday
29 miles – We ride the General James A. Van Fleet Trail, a wilderness trail through the Green Swamp. We picnic at a trailhead along the way. Keep your eyes open for wildlife! In past visits we have seen alligators, otters, and many species of birds. This trail is outstanding, too -- very flat and all paved!
Day 3 - Tuesday
41 miles – The Withlacoochee State Trail from Dunnellon to Trilby Junction. This has to be one of the very best trails in the country. At lunchtime you're on your own in Inverness. This amazing trail takes you on a journey through wilderness forests draped in Spanish moss, through swamps, past lakes, along rivers, horse farms, and the towns of Floral City and Inverness.
Day 4 - Wednesday
22 or 32 miles – Van ride to the beautiful 255 acre John Chesnut Sr. Park, adjacent to Lake Tarpon in Palm Harbor. We'll explore the park a bit and then ride the northern section of the Pinellas Trail, then doubling back to head over to Tarpon Springs, where exploration and lunch are on your own; You'll love the Greek food and the famous Sponge Docks! Then we continue on the Pinellas Trail and bike right to our night's lodging in Dunedin.
Day 5 - Thursday
26 miles – Today we ride the urban Pinellas Trail from Dunedin to downtown St. Petersburg, where we’ll bike right to our hotel. We’re staying in the heart of downtown St. Pete, so you’ll be able to walk or bike to any number of establishments and celebrate our week of adventures together. Anyone wanting more mileage has many options available.
The Pinellas Trail is a Rail Trail Hall of Fame Award winner. After riding it you'll understand why!
Day 6 - Friday
Enjoy a leisurely breakfast in downtown St. Petersburg or jump on your bike for a short ride up the North Bay Trail to the Coffeepot Bayou and back. Mid-morning we will pack up and van you back to our beginning Rocky Point / Tampa hotel and say farewell.
Difficulty level: Intermediate
The trails on this tour are paved. The trails are suitable for all bicycles. The trails are mostly quite gentle and the riding is pretty easy.
Suggested bicycle: Touring bikes, road bikes, hybrids
Suggested tire size for this tour: 28mm – 37mm (or larger)
- $2,650 per person (based on double occupancy)
- $580 – Single Supplement (extra price to have your own room)
- $150 – Bike Rental (helmet and bike bag included)
- 50% of the total is a required deposit due upon registration.
- The remainder is due 60 days prior to departure date.
- You will receive an email invoice for the balance due 90 days prior to departure date
- If you cancel more than 60 days prior to departure date, you will receive a 90% refund.
- No refunds will be given if you cancel less than 60 days prior to departure date .
- We highly recommend that all riders purchase their own trip insurance (not included with tour price) to protect against unexpected emergencies. Especially at our age, even though no one expects or wants it, health issues arise and accidents happen.
- At Travelinsurance.com you can get quotes for coverage from several different providers and get all your questions answered about different levels of coverage, such as "Cancel For Any Reason (COFR)" polices and Pre-Existing Condition waivers. Allianz Travel Insurance and TravelGuard by AIG are also well-known companies with reasonable rates. Please check it out and protect your travel investment.
Your Travel Plans
If you are flying, you fly into Tampa International Airport.
If you are driving we meet you at our Tampa hotel and return you there at the end of the trip. Parking at the hotel for the week will entail modest additional cost.
Your Lodging Plans
For this tour, 5 nights lodging from Sunday through Thursday night are included, with the tour concluding mid-day Friday.
If you plan to bring your own bike and it is a non-standard bike such as a recumbent, E-bike or tandem, you will need to discuss transport issues with me before you register for this trip. Space in the trailer is limited and we may or may not be able to accommodate. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bike rental is available at $150 for this trip (Select the Add-on option). A helmet and bike bag are included with bike rental.